Diagnostic instruments or self-assessment tools have been used over the decades for eight to ten primary purposes. Of specific relevance to discovering and developing global mind-sets are:
- Tools used to assess and develop organisations such as Global Diversity & Inclusion Benchmarks (GDIB)
- Tools that measure personnel assessment and development. The Global Competencies Inventory (GCI), the Intercultural Effectiveness Scale (IES), and the Personal Leadership Practice Self-Assessment can be used for the former, and mostly belong in the latter.
Global Competencies Inventory (GCI)
This is designed to assess personal qualities associated with effectiveness in environments where there are cultural norms and behaviours different from our own. It measures leadership competencies of corporate managers and global leaders in areas critical to interacting and working effectively with people from different cultures.
Technical personnel, middle and top management personnel in international corporations, as well as faculty and graduate students in university programs, have used the GCI in the following contexts:
- High-level talent selection and management
- Executive coaching for personal/professional development
- Defining the knowledge and skill sets needed in managers and executives to implement global strategic initiatives
- Selecting and promoting criteria for different levels of management
- Pre-and post measuring of training interventions for changes in intercultural competencies
The Intercultural Effectiveness Survey (IES)
This is derived from the Global Competencies Inventory. It has a more general application for a broader audience; it is a more accessible and affordable version. It focuses on:
- How we get along with people whose cultural background differs from our own. These differences can originate from country culture or from ethnic, generational, religious, and other areas.
- How we learn about another culture and the accuracy of that learning. How we develop and manage relationships with people from other cultures
- How we manage the challenges and stress involved in interacting with cultural differences
Cultural Detective Competence Assessment
Used in both groups and individually, Cultural Detective has several tools that give feedback on its core competencies, as well as the development of the Personal Values Lens.
Global Diversity & Inclusion Benchmarks 2014 (GDIB)
This is a tool to help organisations determine strategy and measure progress in a managing diversity and fostering inclusion.